Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Caleb's Head Injury

Caleb was playing on our backdoor neighbor's trampoline and I could see them out the window. Caleb, Cam and their son were chasing each other around the safety net on the outside of the tramp.
I had the impression to holler out the window that it was not a good idea, but figured it wasn't my tramp and my rules.
(dumb parent/not listening to the Holy Ghost moment)
About 5 minutes later Cameron brought Caleb home and he was crying. The only other time Caleb really cried was when he broke his arm!
(He gets tears and gulps them down, but he doesn't cry out loud hardly ever!)
I knew he was really hurt.
He had fallen backwards off the edge of the tramp and hit the back of his head.
I held and loved on him while we put ice on his head.
He calmed down really quickly and just wanted to lay on the couch.

I proceeded with our late dinner and called the kids to the table.

(Jestin has been working 60-hour swing shifts on his new job, so the kids don't see him but for a few hours on the weekend, and when he is home he is sleeping most of the time!)

Caleb didn't want to eat.
And it was his favorite.
His eyes kept wandering in and out of focus.
He would talk... but his words would get mixed up or he would mumble.
The feeling that something more was wrong was very strong.
It was after 8 pm at this point.

By 9 pm I KNEW something was not right.
I could not decide what to do.
Jestin wasn't home!!
We were once again without insurance between jobs.
All I could think was that Caleb needed a Priesthood Blessing.

Brother Swasey and Brother Carter were kind enough to come over this late in the evening.
Both had experience with concussions as well, which I felt was a tender mercy!
They counseled with me and then gave Caleb a blessing.
He was blessed to be healed with time.
Brother Carter made me promise to call him if Caleb started anymore symptoms aside from the ones previously mentioned, and that I would take him the ER.
I agreed of course and was relieved to have someone aware of what was going on!

Within 10 minutes of the brethren leaving, Caleb started projectile vomiting.
I called Brother Cater back and told him I was taking him to the hospital, he agreed.
I called Ma and Dad to come down and sit at the house, as I was putting the other kids to bed first.
Then I loaded up my little man and drove to the ER.

They got him right back.
(He was still puking)
A CT scan later and we knew the diagnosis:
A Concussion.

He improved a bit as we sat in the ER, and so we were versed on what to watch for, including waking him every hour all night long to make sure he was wakable, and I was told I could take him home.
There was no visible swelling or bleeding on his brain.
(Thank heavens!)

I was instructed to keep him down flat for 24 hours and limit his activity for 4-6 weeks.
(have they MET my 7 year old?? LOL)
And no jumping on the tramp until school is out.
He is super sad!
And the sweet neighbors have brought him suckers and a new magnetic game board to cheer him up.
They feel just awful... but accidents happen! Such is life! :)

UPDATE:
(8-18-2012)
Caleb healed really well. He did struggle with changes in his personality for about 6-8 weeks. He was weepy and easily upset. He would have little rages. It was STRANGE! Caleb is our even-keel kid! It was very odd. If he bonked his head at all he would burst into tears and shake with fear!
Now at the end of summer he has no visible signs of trauma.
He loves the tramp, but is very strict about the rules on it, and if other kids won't follow them he gets off.
We are so thankful he is ok!

0 comments: