Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Thursday, July 14, 2011

CURSIVE!!!!!!

My body beat the odds again!!!!! WAHOO!!!!!!! I was SOO SUPER excited!!!!!!!!
I have been working on my handwriting, cursive especially, for months. It has been 7 months since my stroke. The doctors/therapists told us that after 6 months there would be little/to no recovery. I have been secretly disappointed. My handwriting looks like a 3rd grader. And anyone who knows me, knows I did have really pretty good handwriting! And hence, I was disappointed to think this would be my norm forever. Handwritting seems to be a part of our identity to me... if that makes any sense! LOL
I try to write in my journal a couple of times a week. If I am not too tired, the print is easy to read and looks really good. If I am tired it is messy and wobbly. I have been signing my name for a couple of months, and doing *some* cursive on and off. It has been mentally taxing to write in cursive. The curves are hard to do! Straight lines... no problem! Curves.. aye aye aye!

Last Sunday, after Cody's Ordination Day and Family party, I was completely exhausted. I had been running a fever for over a week, and the 2 days before I started head cold type symptoms. I was miserable. BUT! It had been SUCH a wonderful day, I wanted to write down the happenings of the day and my feelings about it...
I picked up the pen and started writing. IN PERFECT CURSIVE!!!!!!!! It felt like a light bulb went on and suddenly it worked!!! There was NO effort needed mentally! I sat there crying at both WHAT and I was writing... and HOW I was writing!! Even 7 months after a stroke, my mind is still creating new pathways!! I couldn't believe it.
It is another nod to how we should not listen to the limitations placed upon us by "normal" outcomes in others! Ever! We are all individual, and we CAN beat the odds!! *GRIN*

I wonder if the fever got my body in healing mode and that didn't help a ton? Who knows!? But HAPPY DAY!!! It thrills me to have one more "part of who I am" returned to me!! :) :) :) HAPPY!

0 comments: