Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Monday, October 22, 2012

Deep thoughts

I am sitting here tonight, everyone is in bed asleep, and I should be re-taking my math test to better my score, but instead I feel like sharing some thoughts...

I have been thinking about the power of prayer and the difference I know it can make in one's life. The deep thought I am having is in the communication of it.

I was taught to use "thee" and "thou" when speaking to Heavenly Father. And I often do. But I realized something. I have some of my best heart to heart talks with Him when I lay aside the pomp and circumstance and *speak* with the Lord. Does that mean I am going against what I am "suppose" to? Or does that simply mean that once I speak as I am, my communications become more intimate, and my respect for Him is not lessened in the least?

I also have been thinking about the part of prayer"asking" for what we stand in need of. Often it feels like a checklist in prayer. But there are things that we genuinely need and want in life. So to avoid sounding like a checklist, often our requests are slightly vague. So is it right to be vague and let Heavenly Father search the desires of our hearts to figure it out? For example... a prayer said here in our home recently was worded something like: "Please bless us with the right opportunity." Jes is looking for a permanent employ, and that was the question being asked by this phrase. Tonight as I chatted with Emma at bedtime (*so* love those bedtime chats! :) ) we were talking about prayer and this topic came up. I suddenly realized... if Emma (or any of my kids) came to me and said, "Mom, please bless me with the right opportunity." I would likely smile and say... the dishwasher needs emptied, or you are welcome to rotate the laundry... not even close to what she was looking for. It was kind of an Epiphany of the importance of following the guide in the scriptures of laying it out in your mind, making a specific plan, or goal, and *then* asking if you are on the right track. Does that mean my laundry list of things to ask for should change? I still want my family to be kept safe and healthy, and my local & general leaders to be blessed for their service... so I still wonder about the repetition in asking... hmmmm.

I also want to know how come when paychecks become tight, case lot sales happen, shoes wear out and meds need refilled? LOL Not earth shattering quandaries by any means... but I swear! I put money away for things like that and we don't need it... the minute it is spent on making up short hours (for job interviews that didn't work out (*dern*)) everything comes up. LOL Ahh... the JOY of riding this ride called life eh?

Better get back to my homework.... G'nite

1 comments:

Nicole

oh, how i love my Heather friend! thank you for sharing. i love it!