Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Monday, February 15, 2010

Crazy Morning...

What a crazy day we have had! Nothing too major... but just crazy.

Cameron came in right after Jestin left to help a neighbor this morning saying his throat hurt really bad! I told him to drink a little cold water and let me know if it gets worse.

It's winter after all and everyone knows that scratchy morning throat because it's so dry kind of feeling. Plus he had been coughing most of the night with his asthma.

About 90 minutes later he started puking. His asthma flared up as well. I cleaned him up and gave him a breathing treatment. (He has been coughing at night for a few nights now) He often starts thowing up when his oxygen levels get down and he feels so constricted. In fact, when he was littler we always knew that throwing up meant he would be admitted to the hospital! He seemed a little better once his breathing treatment was over, but he is still dusky and pale.

He had his first orthopedic surgeon appt since his break today. I decided we better take him anyway - sick or not - his splint had broken and his finger was bruising more now than it did before! So I loaded him up and took him to the OS. We got him a mask - just in case it wasn't just asthma - and all he wanted to do was lay down. He kept saying he is just so tired. (also VERY common with his asthma)

The OS took xrays of his hand and told him it needed re-set (rebroken) and he could give him a shot to numb it first. Cam flat refused. The OS said he could do it without pain meds, but it would hurt really bad.... Cam didn't care. He was not having any shots.
(xray after it was re-set)
And so... my sweet 8 year old boy just laid there and let the OS re-brake his finger and set it. He didn't even whimper! I think he just feels so miserable he didn't care at that point. He said it hurt really bad... "but there was no sense in crying or saying ouch about it!"
He fell asleep for a minute or two after it was set...
It is broke in 2 places. The OS said it likely will heal straight as he grows, but they will recheck in a week... he may need surgery and a pins if it doesn't straighten a ton on its own. UGH! Poor boy!! Stupid ER doc! He wanted us out of the ER... you could tell... and if he had just LISTENED to me when I said we were told to come by the OS and that the OS KNEW we were coming and he wanted to set it, then Cam wouldn't have had to endure today! :( I felt so bad for him!

We left the office and before we got out of the building we were running to find a toilet to puke in. He says his tummy doesn't hurt at all... just his throat does... and his breathing is labored.

*sigh*

Then we came home and told the kids about Cam's adventures. Cody got huge eyes... and Emma turned to him and said... YOU BETTER TELL HER OR I WILL!! Reluctantly Cody admitted that HIS throat hurts bad... and his head hurts too.

I looked in their throats and sure enough... red. Cody has one spot of white. They have no fevers, but it looks like we may have strep throat at our house!

And I SUCK! I took it to the OS office! Even though he wore a mask... now I have guilt!

*SIGH*

Jestin is coming home shortly to give the boys blessings and we will feel it out from there. It could be just drainage and asthma... or it coudl not. Either way... it's not something we can afford right now! *whimper* Nor something I want to spread throughout the house.

KNOCK ON WOOD

We hope it will clear up as nothing more than a cold or something.... a mom can hope anyway....

3 comments:

Suzie

Ahhh, hugs! We have strep at our house right now too. It must be going around. And WOW, what a tough little guy you have there! I hope that his finger heals quickly!

Nicole

oh man!!! i'm so sorry!! we play the asthma game too and frankly it's NOT my favorite. and shots are hated here too. what a trooper your little man is!! and it might not be strep at all...it might just be a nasty cold. we're getting over one here too. hope everyone is feeling better soon!!

Jamie and Erin

I hope you all get better! And just a suggestion: take Cameron to physical therapy (or do it yourself) for his finger break. I broke my pinkie finger 10 plus years ago and it's fused weird and I can't straighten it out. It makes playing the piano tricky! Way back when they prescribed P.T. and I never went, thinking, "Yeah, right, for my pinkie?" Oh, how I wish I would have gone or done some stretching/healing for it myself. Hugs and prayers to you and your family!