Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lent & Easter Eve

Today is the eve of Easter. Tomorrow I am ending my commitment for Lent. This  morning I finished reading Luke and will finish John tonight. My in depth journey to learn more of the Savior for Lent is almost over...

It has been one of the choicest experiences of my life.

The last 40 days I have read the 4 gospels, as well as some other great books. I have tried to ponder more my relationship with the Savior and where "I fit" in His life and plan.

The lives of the apostles have come to life like never before... and I have watched (read) how they themselves learned line upon line and precept upon precept... at the Saviors feet! It has brought to mind my own discipleship and my own testimony. I am utterly grateful that I do not have to know it all RIGHT now! I am so thankful for the atonement to make up for all the many ways I lack in my life.

I also pondered how I would likely never meet one of his living apostles myself because of where I live and how many saints meet together whenever they are near. I sorrowed a little, but was happy to know I could walk where they walk and listen to their voices so readily. And then I was bestowed the bounteous blessing of serving in the Salt Lake Temple and meeting and shaking the hand of one of the apostles face to face while in my Lent!! I am humbled at the answer to a prayer/desire I never uttered out loud to God!! And what indescribable joy that brought to my heart! And how real it made this journey for me!

I have learned the value of real love. Of the kind of love the Savior shows. He loved everyone... even when they hurt him. He was open to everyone if they would allow Him. He was not afraid of anyone because of their ailments or infirmities. He touched, healed, loved, fed, prayed for, taught and blessed. He took time for himself to learn, regroup and pray. Nothing was impossible to Him. His example has soo many faucets!

This whole Lent quest of mine has brought me GREAT joy!! I have learned that when I am sad, I want to eat junk. I knew that about me, but I didn't realize how much. I realize how much better my body functions without the cumbersome weight of processed sugars. I realize that I can enjoy parties and family functions without needing to put sweets in my mouth. I like feeling full of energy... real energy from good foods. And I like that I am in control of myself... not lead by the desire for food I don't need.

I went into my Lent expecting to "sacrifice"... and have come out of it feeling healed and filled both body and spirit! The first 3 days were a sacrifice... sugar addictions are real... but after that... I knew what I wanted! And I found joy in that! I was given strength beyond my own when I prayed and studied.

Nothing I ever do can compare to what our Savior did. Ever. Even when I try to experience something similar He makes up the difference! As long as He is allowed into my life and heart... He will be there. I have learned this like never before!

This Easter eve, when rabbits, eggs, candy and messy fake grass take over, my heart feels full of gratitude for an amazing man who quietly gave Himself to be sacrificed for our sakes. We will live again after we die because He blazed the path. We will be forgiven, no matter what, over and over if need be, until we are strong enough to overcome (with trust in His help) on our own, because He already paid the price for those sins! We are self-suffering if we think we "have" to bear them alone! He rights ALL wrongs.

And I am SOO thankful this day for the knowledge and testimony I have found while practicing a tradition not of my own religion. It has greatly blessed my life!!

HAPPY NEWS!!!
HE LIVES!!!
And so shall we, and all those that we love and have lost!!
May the Lord bless you all this weekend with a stronger sense of the why and the how - He did it for YOU!! :) Of this I KNOW!! :) :) :)

1 comments:

Nicole Stoddard

Heather,

Thank you for sharing your experience and strength. I appreciate your example in my life. I love you!

Nicole