Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Monday, April 26, 2010

Home and Gone Again

Jestin came home for the weekend. It was really nice having him here for a few days! They planned on heading home Friday morning, but got rained out Thursday so they headed out right after work. We didn't tell the kids he was on his way. They were so mopey that evening. Caleb's prayer was consistently "Heavenly Father...Please b'wess Daddy come home tomorrow. Amen." in the days previous. They even wanted to know if I would come check them out of school if he got home before school was out! We were all missing him something fierce! It was so hard to put them to bed that night and not give them the good news!

He pulled in the driveway at 2:30 am. We stayed up talking and what not for a couple of hours. It was perfect time for us to catch up and then he could devote himself entirely to the kids the next morning.

I heard the alarms go off and I laid there wondering what their reactions were going to be walking into my bedroom and seeing Daddy asleep next to me! No one came in and I drifted off to sleep for a minutes more. As I was laying there I sensed someone was staring at me! I opened my eyes and there, at the bottom of our bed, sat Cody with a cutest lopsided grin on his face! I poked Jestin and said, "Hey love, your being stared at!" *giggle* Cody leapt into Jestin's arms and gave him a huge hug! He promptly left the bedroom and told the other kids the news. LOL! So much for a surprise! They LOVED having him help them get ready for the day and take them to school... I don't think it even occurred to them to ask him to let them stay home... they were just so glad for their routine with their Daddy in the morning again!!

Caleb stayed asleep and missed all the activity that morning. Jestin left to work on a job here locally and was gone until  2pm. I didn't tell Caleb anything. But this little bug of mine is too smart! He climbed into bed with me and wanted to know why I had 4 pillows again instead of the 3 I had had the last 2 weeks. Later he asked me when Daddy was coming home. I replied that I was unsure... to which he replied that if he didn't get here soon that Heavenly Father must send him a robot Daddy because he misses him too much and can't wait any longer!! LOL I was cracking up!!

When Jes pulled into the driveway Caleb saw him out our window. He came grinning downstairs and tried to act all macho about it... like he wasn't super duper excited!! It was a hoot! And then... after some huggin and kissin' Jes had his shadow back! Caleb missed him the most I think... of course... it truly is a toss up!

We didn't get a ton of time with Jes, as he tried to get his local jobs done, but we did get a quiet dinner with his parents on Saturday to celebrate his birthday. He wanted Beef Stew of all things! LOL It was lovely and low key...just what Jes wanted to feel for his few quiet moments at home.

Sunday he had meetings all morning and then church, so I begged Pat (the guy he is working with) to hold off leaving one extra hour after a church so we could at least eat dinner together and Jestin could give us all blessings before he left. It worked out perfectly.

We all were brave as he left... but broke into tears as he pulled away. Caleb went and hid and fought crocodile tears. We were so sorrowful to see him go again! We turned on America's Funniest Home Videos and soon the tears were dry and we could pretend all was ok again.

I find it interesting... this place we are at. We are SO dang thankful for the work! Our family desperately needs it. Our gratitude is full. And yet it breaks our hearts too!! I cannot imagine being a military wife, or a pioneer mother left while crossing the plains! I cannot fathom being a widow with small children! These women are my hero's!!

I am surviving... but I sure don't love it!

0 comments: