Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Friday, February 10, 2012

Hospital Stay - Part 5 - Super Bowl Sunday

I don't know how anyone can get better in a hospital. Just sayin'.
Sleep was anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes at a shot.
So many interruptions!
I was woken up at 5 am for a blood draw. (in my other arm from my IV ??)
About an hour later, I woke up with water trickling down my arm. My IV was leaking.
It was shift change, so the nurse just turned off the IV and said she would be in to fix it as soon as she could. I tried to go back to sleep, but woke up about 20 minutes later with blood all over me. My IV had pulled out, and with the blood thinners in me, I was makin' a mess!
Go that cleaned up.
A really nice older male nurse (Bob) came in and tried to get a new IV started. He stuck me 3 times. My veins kept collapsing on him.
Finally, the floor's charge nurse was called in and she had to dig around, but found a vein (shoot me now!) and I was all hooked back up, and blood cleaned up. Just in time to start the questions again: "What's your name? What's your birthday?" Neurological tests. Vitals. Etc etc.
I could push down more with my foot, but could not pull my toes back. I could squeeze fingers a little more. And my smile seemed more even, and my speech less slurred.
Breakfast. Bathroom. Speech therapist = not swallowing well enough, I got switched to an all soft diet. (yuck) Physical Therapist came in, and his assistant was a fellow I knew!! He walked in and I said, "How do I know you and why do I like you so much??" (I could not at all place him!) He is the nephew/grandson of the people we rented our house from (our dear friends the Wilkins & Berrocals) and we spent weeks working together to get them moved to St. George! He helped with my therapy that morning. I was able to walk to the nurses station (3 doors down), rest for while and walk back. I drug my foot, but I could stabilize myself enough to stay standing and rotate my weight to move. It was a good morning!
Dad came by after his meetings at the MTC and took Ma home to take a nap. Jenny came and spent the day with me. It took us 4-5 tries, but we finally got them to leave us alone long enough to have her help me do a quick sponge bath, and some lotion, and brush my hair. She also put some more essential oils on me. We visited and dozed. She read. I tried to sleep on and off.
Jes' parents stopped by to see me for a few minutes as well as they headed down to my house to help Jes. It was nice to see some family. :) They were awesome and went down to have the Super Bowl snack fest my little family had planned on doing, and played some games with the kids, while my poor sick sweetheart slept and slept some more. Cody had some body aches this day, but that was a sick as he ever got.
I had a great nurse while I was there. His name was Darin. He was super kind, and reminded me a lot of my brother-in-law Greg. He teased me about my lack of interest in turning on the TV to watch the game - see how I was?? LOL I could not do the lights and noise. The only time the TV came on was on Sunday evening, when we heard about the murder Josh Powell committed on his 2 innocent babies, and his selfish suicide. It was heart wrenching... and perfectly distracting. Nothing I was going through was as bad as this. The Cox family lives in my brother's ward and so it hit close to home for them... and for us. I can't imagine the test of faith they are experiencing! Words fail me.
Ma came back to spend the night with me again. The neurologist did not have any answers for us yet, and most of the blood work had not come back. So we were there for at least another night. *sigh*
I called to say prayers with my little family over the phone and tell them all goodnight. About 30 minutes later, Jes called to say goodnight again, and let me know that my Cameron had started a migraine suddenly, and was hiding from light within 15 minutes, and 10 minutes later throwing up from pain. He had fallen asleep... but his monthly migraine had struck while I was away. :( My poor boy!

0 comments: