Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Friday, February 10, 2012

Physical Therapy - Day 2 at Home

Wednesday Feb 8th - Therapy started at 8 am. Jes left for work at 5:30, so I got up about 7 am and got myself ready. I found I could hold my hair brush... I could only comb half way down... and when I wanted to let go of it, my hand would not... LOL... but I brushed my own hair! I slid my elbow up the wall and used my right hand to hold onto my hair, while I used my left hand to finagle a hair tie onto it to create a pony tail. It wasn't beauty queen... LOL... but it was out of my face for the workout ahead! ;) Go me!

I limped into the kitchen, and talked with my kids as they got ready for school. I even made myself a bowl of cereal. I discovered if I gripped my pill bottles with my right hand, and pushed down really hard with my left hand (so they couldn't twist in my hand) the lids would come off! YEA! Freedom!
By the time Jes got here to take me to PT, I was ready to go!

Getting down the stairs was a challenge (shoot! there were only TWO!) and getting in and out of the car had to be remembered (wrap my left leg around my right to lift it in and out) but hey! I was out in the world! And the sun was on my face! And I was headed to go see one of my heroes! Brad is an amazing PT and I really appreciate how he works with me and teaches me as we go.

I brought my cane and when I hobbled onto the therapy floor Brad's eyes were sad to see me. He sent me to a small room while he finished with the client he was with, then he came in to get the whole scoop. He did a full analysis and was super optimistic for me. (as always) We went straight to work.

Rowing machine for 10 minutes. TORTURE. The opposite motion on each side of my body, plus focusing on keeping my hand gripped on the hand bar, my foot on the pedal, and to just breathe was super stimulating! I had to close my eyes.

Then we did some walking. Phooey.

He moved me to a table to do "clam shells" (laying on my side, keeping my ankles together, but lifting my knees) - not so easy.

We also did "bridges" (laying on my back with my knees up, lifting my hips off the table). My left side totally had to drag my right side up, but I could feel it tugging at something inside my head! Hope!

Next he had me get on my hands and knees and shift the weight of my body from one shoulder to the other, lifting my arm at the elbow on each side. This proved the hardest one, even with Jestin gently stroking my elbow. My shoulder was very asleep.

The last exercise he gave me to do at home was to lay on my back, and interlock my fingers, then use my left hand's strength to pull my right arm up and over my head while keeping my arms straight. This was almost painful. My shoulder was SOO stiff from just hanging limp for days!

After I got my homework exercises, Brad had me stand in front of him with my feet off alignment and he did a bunch of balance tests. He was proud of me as I did each one; I remembered his teaching from before of focusing on my center of gravity and getting it in alignment at the hips regardless of where my feet were. :)


I really appreciate his honesty and optimism! He believes this can be a quick recovery. He knows how stubborn I am... and he sees how much I have already taken back. We are hoping for a full recovery in just a couple of weeks!! YEA!

Jestin brought me home and I slept. And slept. And slept. I know that victims of brain related injuries need a lot of sleep... but part of me feels guilt! I could sleep for hours and hours! I was tempted to try and attend my math class that night... but I was still just super wiped out so we chose against it.

Instead after my nap, I went on a short ride with Jes to pick up some parts for a side job, but that was the extent of my outings this day.

Ma has agreed to be my "Little Yellow School Bus", as I am forbidden from driving - obviously - and so we are going to try my class on campus in the morning! *gulp* Hoping for a "breakthrough" nights sleep!

0 comments: