Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Health & the Economy

The bug has passed. We are all feeling much better! Thank goodness! :)

The state of the economy has begun to effect our family. We are struggling like everyone else. We wonder what will happen next month, or even next week. We are at the mercy of this wave called a recession... and it sucks... really it does... but I have a thought. Or rather, my friend Maria shared a thought... a perspective if you will. And I have decided to fully embrace it!

If I spend my time reading the news websites, or watching the evening news with all the gloom and doom... and all the "Bailout" balogna... my heart and mind become negative and anxious. The media and even our *ahem* wondermous new leaders breed the very panic, sorrow discouragement and worry that is taking over almost everyone's mentality... and causing fear... which makes us all stop spending... which makes it worse... etc etc etc

And so... here is my goal... my hearts desire if you will. I am giving up being "in the know" by watching the news everyday. I am giving up being stressing about it, and dreaming about it, and letting it fester inside me. Besides... tomorrow they will just contradict themselves anyway and things will be just the oposite of how groom and doom they were today... but something else will be the gloom and doom. I am embracing the world around *me* right now... and it is not such a bad place to be.

Maybe that is sticking my head in the sand. Maybe that is not how a democracy should work... but has it been working the last decade? Maybe that is not "the right thing to do" for someone else....I mean really? The greedy lawyers/CEOs and the finatics are the ones leading this country right now... and I am not sure that is where *my* energy should be used. I feel like I am needed elsewhere...

I am doing THE most powerful thing I can do to help this country right now in my life as a mother of 4, home schooling 2, self employed twice over with a heart condition: I am praying. ;)And I am leaving it to Him. I *personally* can only control ME. And in my life right now... I need balance. I need peace. I need strength. And that can only come from Heavenly Father... and only because I am trying to live worthy of it. I must admit fully... that I am NOT sure I meet those requirements for the blessings on MOST days... but I am dusting myself off and trying again. I have to. My family needs me to. And it is NOT easy!

And so... I am boycotting the news. I dont want to watch the gloom and doom they spread anymore. I want to see joy in the neighbor playing with his daughter and listening to their giggles through my open window. I want to see the light in my child's eyes when he grasps a concept that has eluded him. I want to feel the arms of my strong and able husband around me. I want to cuddle with a little dog who loves me no matter what! I want to dance to the music in my soul!

Does any of this make sense? I guess I am chasing the law of attraction. If I think, feel, taste, hear, ponder and enjoy GOOD and HAPPY things... won't that bring more good and happy things to me and into my life? The trials in this life are "only but a moment"... "this too shall pass"... and we will be stronger for having lifted up our heads and hearts and not lost sight of our goals - to live in such a way that we can live again in the life to come. And I KNOW it will be worth it! And I HAVE to believe that! regardless of whether or not I can pay my bills or have work tomorrow... In 5 years, it likely will not matter that much if I stressed about it today. Faith. Not Fear. :)

2 comments:

Nicole Stoddard

All I can say to this is "Amen". Thanks for giving words to what I have been feeling for weeks. I too have stopped watching the news. Now I only skim over the headlines on newswebsite and only click on those that are of interest or are of a positive nature. This way I control what I read and let effect me. I love you!

Tammy

a positive mind-frame will always make the best of any situation, good or bad. I'm with you about the news. I think negativity sells better so that is what they preach. I am all about focusing on my kids and family and the gospel, to make the best me so that once all of this is over, I can be ready. Also I can be strong to last through the tough times.