Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Monday, April 13, 2009

Homeschool Update

Homeschool is great! I thought it would be a LOT harder than it is. We are usually done by noon and get to "play" together etc the rest of the day. I love having the one on one time without them without them being antsy to go play with friends (since the friends are at school). They ALL love it!

Cam has missed a ton of school lately for his arm, asthma etc. He keeps asking if he can come home this year too. I kept putting him off because the year is almost over and he is SUCH a structure type personality, but he has done really well at home with us the last few weeks on and off. His agressiveness has greatly decreased (he is a poke ya, push ya, bug someone all the time kind of kid) and I can't believe how much more calm he has been. I wonder if the less stimulating environment of home will help him as well... I finally just went to the district on friday and signed him out. *gulp* We'll see how it goes... LOL! Wish me luck!

Can I just say I NEVER would have thought I would be a homeschool type person?? NEVER! LOL! If you had told me in January I would be homeschooling all of my kids by April I would have laughed until I had tears running down my cheeks! I never would have believed it. And now... I can't imagine sending them back anytime soon! The closeness we have as a family is amazing. I laugh though.. the one thing I see as a down side - They never turn off! LOL! Now that home is their classroom... they don't come home and turn off. We have educational discussions EVERYWHERE! Even through my bathroom door as I am trying to have a few moments alone with my porcelin furniture! Jess is amazed he says. He can't believe how "alive" they are now. Everything seems to catch their interest and we talk a TON!

Quick Example - Cody has gotten DEEP into genetic modification - he's almost 10 remember - he just now came up and told me "Did you know they made a mouse that glows in the dark?? They took some gene particles from a jelly fish that glows and with a mechanical device inserted it into the DNA strand of a mouse! wicked huh!!? Now the mouse glows at night!" LOL! Bet I never would have heard THAT from my regularly public schooled 4th grader! LOL! It is a ton of fun! Cody especially has grown by leaps and bounds.

The hardest part I have found is other people's perception of us. I went from "being like everybody else" to "going against the grain" and I am amazed at how many people think I am SO different from them. The comments are sometimes quite hurtful. I am just amazed... and I really hope I was not one of those who thoughtlessly made comments that hurt. I am not some super mom. I am not any better than anyone else. I am the same. I just have made a different choice for my kids right now. And I am enjoying it. I am not seeking to talk anyone into it when I ramble about all the fun we are having. I am not choosing one method of schooling over another! I think public school has great merit! I am not against charter schools or even private schools! I am not against un-schoolers or those who take their children abroad to have their sole education. I just know the promptings that I have regarding MY kids have been AWESOME for us as a family right now... and I think it's fun to share *grin* I hope you all dont mind! And I hope none of you think I am any different now because I do homeschool! LOL

Ugh. Thanks for letting me get THAT off my chest! LOL! It has been festering without words for some time now. LOL. Homeschooling at the Dorius Household ROCKS!

1 comments:

Eli and Corinne

Can I just say I am TOTALLY impressed and in awe at you choosing to home school (and slightly envious at times). This has become my all-time favorite blog to read. Thanks for sharing.