Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Thursday, March 10, 2011

My favorite quick cookies & Lent

I have some good friends who are not of my faith, whom I love and respect very much! We often share the ideas and traditions of our seperate beliefs. The tradition of Lent is one of them. The tradidtion of Lent is the act of giving up/sacrificing something in your life from Ash Wednesday (yesterday) to Easter Sunday. It helps you to think more about Christ, his sacrifice for you, and his fast for 40 days in the wilderness. (I digress... a mormon girl's point of view) I have loved this idea. For the past 2 years I have given up sugar for Lent. Last year I did not succeed because I did not have the heart to go without sugar while Jes was working out of town. I needed my chocolate to be a nice mommy! LOL

This year I celebrated by having a "last supper" of sorts...
I love Cake Mix Cookies!! Especially if they have semi-sweet chips and butterscotch chips in them! YUM!
(recipe included below)
My most favorite cookies are Jes' mom's sugar cookies with frosting, but I admit, I was too lazy to invest that kind of effort! LOL So my next most favorite had to do! :)
I ate two scoops of just the batter... OH! Heaven!!
It makes 2 dozen cookies, and all in all I likely ate half a dozen between cooked and un-cooked. I was a happy girl! :)

But I want to understand my Savior a little bit more. I know that not eating cookies/treats in no way is similar to what He did for me! I just know I could sacrifice a little bit more to understand Him. And this outward expression of an inward commitment will also help remind me that I am seeking after Him and keeps me focused on my goal.

I love the concept of Lent.

Whether my religion practices it or not... I can see good in it and that it can help make me a better person! :)

The birthday's that are coming, mine included, will be hard! And I think that is GOOD! :)
HAPPY ASH WEDNESDAY!

CAKE MIX COOKIES
1 box cake mix (I like yellow for this one)
2 eggs
1/3 c. oil

Mix together well and add your favorite chips - like I said... I like semi-sweet and butterscotch.
Bake at 375 for about 9 minutes. Cool on a rack.
ENJOY!

0 comments: