Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On Making Beds...

There is nothing in life that quite compares to climbing into a bed of freshly cleaned sheets, feeling the crisp smooth surface slide across your much too tired body at the end of the day. Can you feel it? Isn't it bliss?

It's true! There is nothing quite so sweet... it is an experience all it's own!

Today I gave a gift.
A gift to my tallest cute son.
His bed was torn apart over a week ago due to the stomach flu.
We contemplated putting it all back together at long past midnight that night, but instead ripped the bed apart, showered him, dressed him in fresh clean PJ's and put him to sleep on our bedroom floor.

His re-make could wait until morning.

And then morning came... and the many long days after that!
We all floated in and out of illnesses.
We slept on the couches, the floors, etc.

I have walked past Cody's room and could see his bed, still in an array of un-madeness and felt guilt. He spent multiple nights sleeping on his blanket, and throwing a nap blanket over the top of him. His mattress cover was missing, so his sheets did not get put on. I felt a pang of shame every time I saw his bed. It spoke of my lack of priority to my son's comfort (in my own mind of course), though, it was simply a comedy of errors as to our ability to coordinate the resources (his matttress pad washed) and time (it seemed like it was always late when we sent him to bed and no one had the energy to do anything about it). Cody simply didn't care so much (he doesn't very often) so we let it go.

But it has bothered ME.
A lot.
I am his mommy.
I know the love a fresh clean bed can make you feel.
And I have wanted that for him!

Now here, I admit a weakness... and it sucks... yet I try to avoid it : Making beds is harder for me than taking a shower since my stroke. It takes SO much out of me I lay on the bed after 1 sheet is wrestled on and gasp and ache. My brain speaking to my right side to coordinate the pulling, tucking, etc required for bed making summons the same brain fatigue as spending a few hours with Brad (my therapist). It is rediculous (in my mind) and I bet it would be funny to watch. And that is why I don't make beds when anyone is around! Bwahahahaha!

So... HAPPILY (*giggle*)... Jes had a job in Park City today. He has been gone all day. *GRIN*
And, even though I have 3 sick kids downstairs (yes... somehow we are passing the nasty cough/cold/fever/ thing around AGAIN! :P ) I am "alone" enough to wanna tackle it! :)

I sprayed lysol on his mattress & pillow, I washed the walls that surround his bed, on went the mattress pad, *pant pant*, on went his favorite sheets fresh from the dryer, *gasp gulp*, tuck, pull, on went his comforter and blankets, push the bed back against the wall, new pillow case glided onto his fresh smelling pillow, and gently the pillow was placed at the top of his bed. TA-DA!!! *gasp, sputter* I slip to the floor to catch my breath and look at the expression of love his fresh clean bed means to me.

And I felt JOY!!! I did it!!

There are stuffed animals all over the floor that ask to be put back on his bed... but that's a great job for Cody himself. *wink* I shall resist to temptation to "do it all".
What I did was enough... and it FELT GREAT!

Now to go re-make the hide-a-bed.... think I can be so lucky to be able to tackle 2 beds in one day!?! We shall see! GO ME!

1 comments:

Nicole

you ROCK!!! i bet he felt EXTRA loved! :)