Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pres. Hinkley

Hello again. Here I am at almost mid-night. My fever is back with a vengeance...but I am ok otherwise....just up not feeling well...and also lost in thought about my favorite Prophet...

I can remember as a little girl gathering to listen to conference in the family room. My dad would record every episode, every year. (He is now a little chagrined that he can get them on DVD for so cheap! LOL) I didn't grow up very active the later part of my childhood, but I fondly remember Pres. Hinkley. I loved his voice. It always drew me in. His talks were always easier for me to understand, and his humor was endearing.

I remember when he was called as the new Prophet being tickled. I knew he was going to be awesome! I was sad to miss out on the first reading of "The Family; A Proclamation to the World". We were only just beginning to become active as a married couple at the time, and the words of this document reminded me of what I knew as a young child: I am a child of God, I do have a purpose, and I want all the blessing of the eternities as a family that are promised.

After being sealed as a family after 18 months of marriage, with our little Emmalee only 1 month old, I remember my faith in the restored gospel burning so bright, and my love for our living prophet filling my soul. Each time he spoke I wanted to hear him. I LOVED conferences!

I remember a few years later, Jess being invited, as a member of the Young Men's Presidency, to attend the Special Youth Fireside at the new Conference Center where Pres. Hinkley presented the 6 B's. (Be Grateful. Be Smart. Be Clean. Be True. Be humble. Be Prayerful.) Jess came home all lit up inside and part of me was deeply sad I had not gone with him (I had been invited too, but was nursing a baby at the time).

During our hardest 2 years, after 9-11, when Jess was repeated laid off and funds were almost non existent, I remember asking for him to take me General Conference for my birthday. (The gas for the 40+ miles was an extravagance) He found tickets, and for the 1st time in my life I got to hear President Hinkley in person. As he walked into the room...I wept. What an amazing man of God he was! And I felt even more blessed, as rarely as it happens, that all 3 of the Presidency (Pres. Hinkley, Pres. Monson, and Pres. Faust) spoke that session. It was AMAZING!!

Since then it has been like a draw! Any chance I get to attend at the Conference Center, to sit at the feet of the Apostle's of our Savior Jesus Christ, I jump. There is nothing like it in the world. There is nothing like singing a hymn with them. It is a feeling I cherish.

I was lucky enough to go and see Pres. Hinkley at Women's Conference this last Oct. My health was poor, my friends I went with had to drop me off and walk from parking alone, and I was beat after wards...but I will never regret it. I got to see him walk in one last time. I got to enjoy that reverence that you feel for my favorite Prophet one last time. I surely will miss him.

And I can't wait to learn who my next favorite Prophet will be... :D God Bless Pres. Hinkley and his family at this time. I am so thrilled when I think of the re-union of he and dear Sister Hinkley are having this night!

1 comments:

Anonymous

President Hinkley will definitely be missed. I kind of wonder what is he doing right now. Amazing things for sure, he always kept going and I am sure he is still building the Kingdom as strong as ever.

You and Jess Rock! Ever since I met you guys I have looked up to you. I wish we still lived close to you guys.