Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Monday, March 3, 2008

Eric Dodge Concert & Auction

I am still recovering! LOL!! What an amazing weekend!!! The event was perfect! We had such a great turn out dispite the snowy weather and it was great to have so many people to hug! Somehow I was blessed to have more strength than I thought I would during set up. When we were setting up I started to feel awful and my heart kept fluttering and racing. I was scared I would end up laying down the whole time... but as the event got started and all these people started coming that I love so much, it was as if my strength was doubled. What a blessing! I was able to enjoy the entire event and not "pay fot it" too terribly much yesterday or today! I am so thankful!


When we were setting up, Eric's band had started trying things out and was practicing a little bit. Emma came over to me for something, and when they were done, I asked if she wanted to meet Eric Dodge. (*giggle*) Her eyes lit up and she grinned really big and said "He's here??" (Bwahahaha) (No sweetheart...his band practices without him...*giggle*) We walked over and as I introduced them she could barely talk. She just stared at him...and grinned. He hugged her and then Amy took their picture. It was DARLING!!! (I even snapped a shot of her line dancing next to him.) She had a BLAST! And we bought her both his CD's, which he autographed for her. She was in HEAVEN!

First they did the raffle and silent auction. They went really well! It was fun to visit with different people and hear what they were shooting for and who won what! It was such a fun time! My brother won the baby afghan that my good friend Nicole donated (he spent all his tickets on it... their baby is due in June). Jessie's cute aunt Mykin got the 1 hour massage from my sister (heaven for her!). Cody won a picture about fitness he is quite excited about! LOL (anything to make the room the boys all share more "his" I think! :) ) Our cute ward photographer won a sculture of Joseph Smith that was just beautiful! There were many more, but it would take a while to remember and list them all.

Then Matt's dad came on and did the live auction! It was a riot! The guys in the ward were outbidding each other like crazy for Jazz tickets, sports memoriabilia and others! They even had a bidding war over a Cold Stone Icecream cake! Too fun!! My cute BIL Greg won a $300 value Bridal or Prom Dress rental for $25 because no one was bidding on! LOL! (he didn't hear what they were bidding on I think he said!) He is a newlywed with a year old baby! Bwahahahahaha!! It was a hoot!

The best part for me was the last item. Remember when I said my sweet Mom-in-law had come to help take care of me and the kids when the kids were so sick? She sat at my kitchen table and sewed a quilt. It was quilt for the auction...and it was gorgeous! At the auction my mom and I were filling out the cards describing what the live auction items were... and when I got to MIL's quilt I had to list the value. I got choked up and said it had no monitary value. It was all sentimental to me. :) My dad heard that, and that I loved it and wished I could bid on the quilt. He bought a paddle and the game was on. They brought it up last, and G'pa E (MIL's dad) and my dad out bid each other over and over. I walked over by MIL and asked if she realized they were auctioning her quilt. She was darling and kept saying..."but it's not worth that much! I didn't spend that much!" Then she realized what was going on...she said "that's my dad!" and then a moment later "and YOUR dad!" Yup! Our Daddies were trying to win the quilt for their little girls. It was so precious! We both just cried! My Daddy won....at a $230 bid!! Afterwards he told my mom that if G'pa had bid again he planned on yelling out $500!! He was going to win it for me....for me. I cry just thinking about it! How many items in life become instant treasured heirlooms? I can't believe it! I will forever LOVE this quilt and all the memories and emotions tied to it.

The generousity and enthusiasum was astounding! Everyone said it was a great time to be had! After the auctions and such, I got the opportunity to introduce the band. I had this great thought process of what I wanted to say... however I was still kinda crying about the quilt incident and couldn't seem to get my emotions in check enough to let my heart convey what I wanted to. Oh well! I loved introducing the band...and they were AMAZING!!!

They taught some line dancing... our little cousin got to come up and sing "Burning Ring of Fire" with the band... I got to slow dance with my sweetheart...and with my little girl... and Eric's band really know how to put on a show! It was incredible! Even as people started dwindling out, their energy was strong to the last song! I LOVE his new album and I got to have his whole band sign the CD of his I didn't have yet! If they stick to it...I think he could go to the top! His voice is gorgeous! and his stage personality rocks too! I wish my camera had done better...many of my photos are a bit blurry from all the fun we were having! LOL! There are some good ones on the ward blog from Jack (thanks Jack!) (http://ldsrtwphoto.blogspot.com/2008/03/bless-heathers-heart-auction.html) and Amy took a bunch I will post more when I get them!


Eric said that FLYLady (Marla) kept texting him too to see how things were going. She had wanted to be able to come! She is such a sweetheart! He wrote her a testimonial that evening telling her all about it and she sent it out to everyone! The FLYbaby community has been rallying around my little family as well! I have gotten some very sweet emails...and many wonderful emails with small donations from all over the country! Unbelievable!

All in all I heard the total was well over $7,000 for the evening. I have not heard an exact amount yet! Absolutely fantastic! I think those who planned this event really got to enjoy the fruits of their labors. I can't imagine it going any better! They did an awesome job!! And it really is going to happen. We really will be able to pull off this surgery and not loose our new business or our home! I am so in awe...at all of it. Words do my emotions no justice...

2 comments:

WALLISVILLE

Sounds like a wonderful night for a wonderful person! I am sad we didn't make it (I hurt my back Saturday:() But I glad all went well. We love ya, Tiff

Unknown

My "cute" husband told me I needed to check out the blog. It was a great night! No question. Glad it went so well. Happy with what we walked away with. Glad too it was so successful.

Laura Petersen