Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Quick Update

Wow! What a crazy couple of weeks! Things are improving by leaps and bounds. I went to therapy yesterday, ready to show off all I can do... which my PT was excited for... but then he taught me what I can't do yet. LOL Yea. not. *sigh*

I can't walk backwards. I can use my right foot to step sideways, but if I step left first, my right foot can't follow. My strength is crap. Squats are a fun game of left side pulling right side everywhere. Pulling myself up onto my toes with both feet is funny... I can do it when I allow my left foot to lead, but if I try to do my right foot (putting all weight on it and letting it pull me up) it doesn't work. I can use the stretchy things to do bi-cep, tri-cep curls...if they let me use my shoulder. If I have to use my elbow (which I do...I just didn't for the 1st set he had me do) I can do the motion, but not with resistance. It's fun.

I am walking better. In the mornings I can walk without much of a visual limp. (I can still feel the weakness but can hide it well) By the evenings I am totally limping again though. They say that is normal. I just find myself annoid by it. LOL. Stairs are easier in the morning... and irritating at night. Mornings are great. Evenings suck. And how many people have morning social events.? bah. humbug.

My speech is almost perfect in the A.M. as well... but I struggle at night. I told my speech therapist as much yesterday, and he asked me the best questions EVER! He asked if I was getting a nap EVERY DAY. I said no... I often fall asleep for a few minutes here and there all day long, but I wasn't taking naps on purpose. He was surprised and apologized for not telling me that sooner. My brain NEEDS a 1-2 hour nap everyday. huh. GO ME!! Best prescription I EVER got! Bwahahahaha! Bigger words with an R, B or a TR in the middle I really struggle with. Also when I talk fast (ok..normal for me) my words will stall and I stammer a bit. My most favorite (not) is the recurrent brain farts though. I can be in the middle of talking about something and it is all of a sudden gone. Now I know I used to do that a little bit before... but not like now. It's a lot. And really OBNOXIOUS. (and yes... I can almost say that word now without stalling in the middle! BWahahahha)

Today has been a sleeping day. I slept until 10 am (11 hours of sleep). Got up. Ate breakfast. Did some research for my health and Cam's migraine, picked up a few things, and promptly fell asleep shortly after noon and slept for another 3 hours. *blush* I could have gone back to bed shortly there after too! They tell me sleeping a lot is common after a stroke... I just wish they had told me that sooner! I wouldn't have fought it so much! Bwahahaha!! It was TORTURE for me to fight not sleeping more in the previous weeks! But i thought it was silly that i was sleeping so much and pushed my exercises more instead! Now i know I will do better in ALL aspects if I sleep more. Sign me up! ;)

I was suffering from an acute sense of A.D.D. for a little over a week and half. It was like I couldn't tune anything out and felt SOOO over stimulated all the time. Thankfully, that seems to have improved the last 2 days. My poor kids were perplexed that things I used to ignore, now made me crazy. I felt bad, as I am not one to snap at people very often, but they all got it at least once. Dinner time was the worst. I was trying to concentrate on using utensils, and they were yammering/bickering/picking at each other or trying to talk to me. I really struggled with that. My poor kiddos. Even Jes got a few backhanded comments for making things complicated. I have tried so hard to be kind and upbeat about all of this... but I just couldn't do it all the time. Good thing they all love me huh? :)

Anywho... Christmas was crazy/fun/hard/awesome, but I will post about that later. Just wanted to give you all an update! Tomorrow is 4 weeks since my stroke and I can't believe how fast it has flown by... and how blessed I have been! :)

0 comments: