Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The story of my stroke...

who knew you could have too much fun? please forgive the spelling/punctuation errors. typing one handed on a wobbly laptop doesnt make it super easy! lol

ok.. here's the story for posterity...

I went to my yearly Christmas party with my "crazy internet friends" - the FLYSistahs - friday night (Dec 3rd). It was here only about 10 minutes from my house at Denice's. i had one of the best nights of my life! We laughed...we cried... we ate delicious food... I was with some of my dearest friends. We started late, so by the time we were done with our present exchange and white elephant game, we then sat around enjoying catching up and encouraging each other. When finally started dispersing...and i looked at the clock. It was about 4:30 am. *blush*

From what we can figure time wise, just before we started just chit chatting, it was about 12:30-1 am. I wandered into the kitchen to get a drink of water. On my way back to the livingroom, i had a sharp pain on the left side of my head. I told my Flysistah Patty that there was no more chocolate for this girl! that i thought i was having a sugar headache from the "gut-bombs" and orange sticks! lol! (gut bombs are pre-made frozen cream puffs, rolled in melted Symphony bars and then powder sugar...yum-o!) We laughed and i went and sat down to enjoy the visiting. The headache dispersed about 10 minutes later, and i only had a slight tension/pressure headache after that. So forgot all about it... i mean after all i knew it was late, eating junk and i had been laughing my butt off! LOL of course i could have a headache!

About 30 minues later, i was listening to Flysistah Erica talk, and started having blurry double vision. I laughed and said...hey erica! i must be tired! i see two of you! We all laughed, and i blinked and closed my eyes on and off, and it went away about 5-10 minutes later.

About 30 minutes later, i started feeling my right leg go numb. now really... that is not too new. i experience some numbness from my heart in my extremities all the time. not to mention, i had been having some episodes of my back going out, and thought that that could be the cause as well - you know - a pinched nerve or something. I was enjoying the chit chats, so i just ket tapping my leg, in an effort to keep it awake until i stood up and "walked it off".

About 2 hours later, we all started breaking up the party, cleaning up and heading home. i kinda hung around a bit. i could not get my leg to wake up! walking with a limp was not waking it up. i had the thought that i should just stay the night at my friend Denice's home, but knew i was only 10 minutes from home! so i said goodbye and headed out.

the only indication i had that anything was wrong with my arm, was that i tried to hold the car keys and put them in the ignition. it was kinda hard to turn them to start the car. i figured i must be just really tired... it was after all almost 5:30 in the morning! so, i just reached over and used my left arm. As i drove, i realized i could push the pedal for the gas, but my foot was so numb and weak, it was difficult. and then pushing the brake was near impossible. i used my left foot instead. i felt really annoyed that "this pinched nerve" was being such a pain the butt! i made it home just fine. i hind sight i cant believe i was so blessed to not have bad weather, or people around me etc etc.

i came into the house, and was feeling exhausted. i am embarrased to say, i did nt do some of the things that would have given me a clue that my arm was really effected as well. i figured it was close enough to morning that if i didnt take meds it would be ok because i could take am doses after i slept for a bit. i also *blush* did not brush my teeth. i just went straight upstairs to go to bed. Jes was waiting for me... he had been dosing, but had not gone to bed. the only slight clue i had that my arm was effected, aside from driving, was pulling off my shirt; it had a funky twinge along the back of it... as if i had overworked the muscle or something. i just crawled into bed with jes.

we talked about the party for a bit, and as we quieted down, i realized my leg was more than i could handle. i whispered to jes in the dark that i thought i could use a priesthood blessing, that the discomfort from my numb leg was feeling tough to take. He asked to tell him about it... so did. all about the sudden numbness while sitting, and tapping  it, and it not waking up when i walked around... but as i got to the part about driving home... he was gently snoring. i just smiled, snuggled into him, decided just being near him was enough. it was 6 am after all!! i would just call my sister jenny in the morning and see if she could come massage out the "pinched nerve".

Through the night i remember being semi-awakened when i would try to roll over, mostly because my body was super heavy. i remember thinking i really over-did staying out late and would need a day to recoperate the next day. lol.

Jes woke me up about 10:30, wanting to say morning prayer with me, as he needed to get to a job here in the neighborhood. when i rolled over i realized how heavy my body seemed. i told jes i would just stay in bed for prayers and fold my arms. we prayed and then he headed downstairs. i started to feel a bit uneasy, and honestly thought to myself "dont let him leave!". i got out of bed and went to the bathroom. i realized that my arm was now numb, as well as my leg still. i decided to call jenny.

I asked her about the possibility of a pinched nerve effecting both the leg and the arm. She said it was highly unlikely. Then she switched from massage therapist, to nurse. She asked me about any head ache. i said no... i didnt really have a headache, more of a slight tension headache...more like i had stayed up too late and ate junk. lol. She asked if i had one last night. i said, "no... not really...oh...but wait! i did! but it didnt last very long!" She talked to me more about how numb i was, and then reccomended i go to the Dr. asap. We hung up and i went downstairs to catch jes. walking was like it is when your leg is asleep. lol

i told jes i had called jen, and that she thought i should go to the Dr. i asked him to help find someone to give me a priesthod blessing first. i wanted some counsel before i "ran off to the ER with a pinched nerve". (i laugh about that now... : P) He immediately started calling people and i thought while i waited i would write down how many cookbooks i sold to my flyfriends at the party.

i could not grasp the pen!!! i forced it into my hand, and to grip, but when i let the pen toch the paper, it would just fall. At this point i was officially scared. i went in and sat by the tree and tried not to cry.

Bro. Mead came down and helped jes give me a blessing. It was clear and beautful. I knew i had to go to the hospital. I knew i would have a longer recovery time, but that blessings promised me before would be fullfilled. that i would live for more to do. That the work i have on this earth is not through.

And so we went.

(i will post ER visit on another post folowing... i am exhausted by this and need to rest. more to follow...)

2 comments:

Unknown

I've been waiting on pins and needles for this post. I've been worried about you! Get some rest and post more when you can.

BTW this sounds like the "most fun" stroke anyone has every had. :)

Peggy

Oh lovey, this totally made me tear up. I hate that you have had to go through this. I feel equal parts sorry and proud that I got to be part of breaking you. LOL. I love you, dearest. Let me know how I can help. Nevermind. I know you won't tell me how I can help you. Dork. ;o)