Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Walmart :(

This is the letter I just sent off to Walmart...

I am a 34 yr old mother of 4. I suffered a sudden stroke the 1st of this month, and I lost almost all use of the right side of my body. Slowly, each day, I have regained some mobility. Last evening, after a particularly good day, my husband agreed to take me out to visit your Springville, UT location to get the remaining things on my children’s Christmas list. I was super excited as we arrived at your store, but when we inquired about a wheelchair that my husband to could use to push me around in since I am extremely unstable walking, we were informed that they only had the mechanical ones on this side of the store. Due to the stroke I cannot use a mechanical wheelchair because I only have use of one of my hands. My husband went to get a wheelchair from the appropriate area, and when he returned he told me that none of the wheelchairs had baskets because apparently teenagers ride on them and break them, so management removed all the baskets. Can you explan to me how I can shop without somewhere to put my items? My husband tried pulling a cart behind him while pushing me in the wheelchair in the front, a near impossible feat. After attempting this method for a couple of minutes we decided to see if I could push the cart while he pushed me, but I could not handle sitting and steering with one hand. It was a joke, and not at all a funny one. Shortly thereafter I just had my husband take the wheelchair back instead of fighting it, and it was obvious that there was no way I was going to be able to move through the aisles in a wheelchair anyway since there were pallets of goods everywhere I went. I instead tried to lean on the cart while walking through the rest of the store so that I could grab only the most necessary items. Obviously this was a poor choice on my part, as it has greatly impeded my recovery, but what choice did I have? I hope and pray for quick healing for me, that I may not need any of these services in the future, but I wanted to make you aware of the SEVERE lack of consideration for those with disabilities in your Springville store. I left your store in tears from exhaustion, swelling and pain, feeling like Walmart doesn't care about the needs of those who suffer from disabilities. Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish shopping for my children, which was the whole reason I chose Walmart above a closer supermarket. To be honest I am not sure I even want to go back to that store ever again. And I thought you should know.

0 comments: