Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy.

~ Mother Teresa

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Bottling Chicken


YUM-O!! I have discovered a new skill that makes me SOO happy!! I tried out (and love) bottling chicken!! It makes the BEST chicken salad (above), and it is ready to use! Shredded Chicken meat! Enchiladas, sweet & sour chicken, BBQ chicken sandwiches... etc etc etc... oh the possibilities!! LOL!!

I am so thankful for my great grandma's pressure cooker that I inherited. What fun!
(Even if I have to stand there and watch it non stop to make sure the pressure stays correctly!)

I was telling some friends in the ward and they all separately wanted to learn, so last minute we had an impromptu canning party!


We all camped around the stove to watch the pressure cooker work it's magic... and we ate the yummy chicken salad seen previously to fuel our excitement! LOL

This is how it looks pre-cooked. When it is done it looks like a science experiment... but oh! how yummy it is!!
I have decided that I LOVE sharing with others these long forgotten skills that can bless families so much... so I am going to try and do a get together at least once a month and learn/teach these skills to anyone who wants to learn!! If any are interested I am going to do more of the following in the weeks to come:
Bottling Chicken
Bottling Beef & Pork (ummm...pulled pork sandwiches! YUM!)
Making more homemade laundry soap
Making Strawberry Jam and Fruit Leather
Bottling Chili and Stews
Planting an herb garden (and learning how to use/store them)
Making homemade breads
Making homemade cheese (this one is a little intimidating...but I am researching...*wink*)
I am learning some of these things as I go (obviously)... so if you want to come play let me know and I will let you know when I am planning on doing these things. *grin* It should be a good time! And many hands make light work! :)
I am feeling the need to learn some basic old fashioned homemaking skills. I am broke for one, so they can save me money, but I also have a feeling they are arts that we will need again. I can't rely on the grocery stores forever... nor should I, I think. And so... I am branching out and exploring the world of old fashion hard work and discipline. I'll keep ya posted as to how it goes! *giggle*

(*Disclaimer: I am by no means a pro at these things...LOL... the State Extension Dept is my friend! *wink* but I really am willing to learn with those who want to learn with me!)

3 comments:

Merri Hackett

very cool. i am impressed!

Blair and Cindy

How cool! You are SUPER WOMAN!!! I think it's a great idea to do get-togethers to help teach and learn how to do that stuff. Let me know when you do it next time. I would love to come learn!

Suzie

I want to make some chicken! Invite me next time.